Our skin is our protective “clothing” that covers us from head to toe. It also protects us from heat and cold and it plays a vital role in our overall well-being but it can only do so much. If you already have encountered several skin conditions in your life, then you know the importance of our skin and the care it needs. Seeing some heat rash pictures, especially the worst kind, will make you think about what kind of torture it might be.
Heat rash may seem like an ordinary thing but what it is really is a result of clogged sweat ducts. For the reason, perspiration is unable to break onto the skin’s surface, remaining trapped underneath. This causes a mild inflammation and shows as what we see as rashes. Anyone afflicted may experience some mild discomfort similar to sunburn but the condition is generally self-limiting for average cases. However, severe cases happen and medical intervention may be necessary to avoid further complications and infections.
Identifying the Type Based on Heat Rash Pictures
- Miliaria Crystalline – this is also called clear heat rash and the symptom typical to this is the tiny, sweat-like beads of eruptions on the skin called sweat bubbles. This happens when there is blockage on the skin’s topmost layer where the sweat ducts are located.
- Miliaria Rubra – commonly called red heat rash or prickly heat, larger blisters are seen in this type which occurs because of an inflammation in the deeper skin layer. The affected area of the skin becomes dry, itchy and with a prickling sensation as blocked sweat glands is unable to allow sweat to the surface.
- Miliaria Pustulosa – this is miliaria rubra that has gone worse and has collected pus in the pustules. It is also called white or yellow heat rash.
- Miliaria Profunda – heat rash pictures may not show how firm or solid to the touch this type is also known as deep heat rash. The bumps are comparatively larger and appear to be the same color as the skin. When larger areas of the skin are affected, it could result to heat stroke or something similar because the skin does not allow sweat on the surface which is essential in cooling down body temperature.
Causes of Heat Rash
Some people are prone to heat rash, some are not but the common reasons why it happens include the following:
- Skin folds that are unable to breathe preventing sweat from drying or evaporating.
- Reaction to excessive use of lotions, perfumes or creams.
- As a result of certain medications.
- Tight clothing.
Patients shown in heat rash pictures include both the young and the old. It is an indication that heat rash can affect any one at any age although children are more susceptible because they are more active. The elderly and the obese are at risk because they are mostly stationary, unable to expose themselves more to flowing air that helps cool the skin.
Diagnosing Heat Rash
Rashes could mean many things and it may not always be due to heat. If the rash occurred right after an exposure to heat, sweating, tight clothing or after taking some medication, and they appear very close to the images in heat rash pictures, it probably is heat rash. Some could be an allergic reaction or a more serious condition and a physical examination at the clinic is necessary to determine what the rashes are. Bacterial infection, fungal infection, eczema and other skin allergies also commonly result to rashes.
Treating Heat Rash
As mentioned above, heat rash often resolves by itself after sometime. The prickly sensation may feel uncomfortable so apply something that will help soothe it such as calamine lotion or hydrocortisone spray or cream. These are available over-the-counter at your local drugstore.
In severe cases where signs of infections are observed such as pus or appears very red and weeping as seen in heat rash pictures, appropriate antibiotics may be prescribed by a doctor. Persistent heat rash may need to be addressed by a dermatologist.
Preventing Heat Rash
Avoiding the causes of heat rash will help prevent it from occurring because it is true that prevention is better than cure. Know how you can protect yourself when the weather is hot, wear comfortable loose clothing and keep the skin clean and cool.