In this article, we shall focus on heat rash remedies for adults and babies. We shall also discuss a few conventional heat rash remedies apart from a few natural and alternative ones to help prevent and treat severe heat rashes.
Heat rash remedies for adults
- Dermatologists generally focus on preventive measures as part of the home remedies for heat rash treatment. Thus, in the summertime, wearing loose and flowing clothing with non abrasive textures or UV protective fabrics, as well as avoiding hot and humid places as much as possible are the first line of defense against heat rash.
- In wintertime too, one must avoid bundling up too much to keep warm, since creasing at the collars caused by tight and warm woolens or heavy sheets can cause sweating that may develop into a heat rash.
- Sport persons often suffer from heat rash due to sweaty and hot conditions. Showering with cool water twice daily and applying an ice pack for 10 to 20 minutes following sports practice or games can help one prevent heat rashes.
- Fungal heat rash remedies consist of the use of apple cider vinegar. Simply spray some diluted ACV using a spray bottle on the affected region for relief from heat rash.
- There are many creams and lotions containing 1% (or less than that) hydrocortisone available over the counter. These can be applied all over the rash to keep the skin dry and sweat-free.
- Talcum powders are excellent heat rash remedies as they help absorb excess sweat and keep the skin dry. It is important to avoid using talcum powders containing cornstarch as these can aggravate the heat rashes caused by yeast.
- Traditional Chinese medicine or TCM also has several heat rash remedies. This ancient science mainly focuses on the diet as part of heat rash prevention. Accordingly, one must avoid eating all kinds of spicy and oily foods as well as alcohol and smoking if s/he is prone to heat rashes. Chinese herbalists also recommend some herbal preparations for strengthening the body’s natural defenses. These include herbal teas and tinctures containing peppermint, chrysanthemum flowers etc.
- Acupuncture is also known to cure several skin conditions and can be made a part of one’s natural heat rash remedies.
- Homeopathic heat rash remedies focus on eliminating the condition from its root. Stinging nettle or Urtica Urens in 30C potency three times each day (or until the symptoms of heat rash disappear) is recommended. Other homeopathic heat rash remedies include Arnica, calendula or Aloe Vera ointments as well as Cantharis and Causticum for burning or stinging sensation accompanying the heat rashes. Exact remedy must be taken under the guidance of an experienced homeopath since this science also takes into account the patient’s nature and temperament.
Heat rash remedies for babies
Heat rashes in babies generally result from bundling up too tight or even due to the constant use of diapers, nappies etc. The rash is generally seen in areas such as arms, legs, creases of the buttocks, neck, stomach and chest. Heat rash can make the baby extremely uncomfortable; scratching the rash can also aggravate the condition.
- It is important to use natural and soothing heat rash remedies for babies since the skin is very sensitive at this tender age. Hence, one must avoid using any harsh lotions or ointments without the advice of a medical expert. Most forms of mild heat rash or prickly heat often disappears on its own.
- Allow the baby to remain unclothed (under a light fan) to dry up the sweat.
- Keep the baby’s skin dry by patting it gently with a soft wash cloth. Your pediatrician may recommend some soothing ointments and powders that can help this purpose.
- Additionally you can use bicarbonate of soda mixed with a little water to apply to the heat rash as this helps provide relief from pain and inflammation.
- Calamine or calendula based lotions are some effective heat rash remedies for babies.
- Bathing the baby in soothing colloidal oatmeal baths is also one of the effective and natural heat rash remedies.
- You can also apply some cucumber slices or Aloe vera gel on the baby’s skin for relief from itching and pain.
These are a few effective heat rash remedies for babies and adults that can help in treating this itchy and painful skin condition.